Get Smart: The Be-All, End-All Guide to Motorized Window Shades
There are all sorts of great debates in the world of window coverings. Traditional v. Modern, Inside Mount v. Outside Mount, and of course, Manual versus Motorized Window Shades.
For us, it’s the debate we can’t get enough of – figuring out what’s best for who and why.
Because we’ve gotten tons of interest in our motorized shades, we felt it was time to get you the be-all, end-all guide to help you answer if these products are right for your home. We’ll start with our handy chart, to break down the basics of our motorized window shades:
Like many homeowners who are considering motorized options for their window coverings — but aren’t quite sure if it warrants the investment — let us briefly run through why many of Alva’s clients make the leap:
- Enjoy a Higher Level of Convenience. If you have quite a few windows in your home, manually closing and opening your window shades can be a real hassle in the long run!
- Enhance Home Security. Motorizing your window shades can be a way to increase the appearance of someone being at home: When something about your home changes, be it a light or the position of your shades, it may makes it appear as if someone has recently been in the home.
- Create More Energy Savings. If you are interested in maximizing your home’s energy efficiency, motorized blinds may be just what you’ve been looking for. Opening and shutting your blinds is about much more than simply blocking or letting light into a room. Put your blinds to work for you and you can realize real savings when your energy bill arrives.
Increase Your Home’s Value.
Home automation is becoming increasingly popular, which means installing motorized window treatments will not only help you save on your bills and make your life easier, it will also make your home more valuable when you are ready to sell.
Into The Details? Us Too. Let’s Go Deep.
How are Motorized Window Shades powered?
We have two types of motors: rechargeable battery and plug-in. Each option offers several benefits. Here are a few things to consider when choosing your motor option:
Our battery motor can be recharged using a standard outlet, and charges in 7-9 hours. Since the battery serves as the power source, window treatments with a battery motor do not need to be located near an outlet. In addition, a battery motor will continue to function even if a power outage occurs.
Plug-in motors never need to be recharged, and are quieter than battery-powered window treatments. However, it is important to consider that since the motor needs to be plugged in, the window treatments must be located near an outlet to operate.
How long does the rechargeable battery last?
Alva’s rechargeable battery motors are a convenient way to power your motorized shades without the need for an electrician. They’re quick to install and you don’t have to worry about concealing wires. However, as with any battery-powered system, there will come a time when you need to recharge your shade by utilizing the power cord and connecting to a nearby outlet. On average our customers re-charge their shades every 8 months, or 500 cycles. Your battery lifetime may vary based on how often you open and close your shades, and how large your shade is.
Are Motorized Window Shades difficult to set-up?
While setup difficulty will depend on your product and the power supply you select it’s well worth the effort when you consider the convenience of having automatic shade in your home!
Generally speaking, the setup process consists of the following steps:
- Install your blinds or shades — You’ll receive detailed instructions in your product’s delivery box.
- If you selected Battery, you have nothing to do but install the shade. If you selected electric power, all you have to do is plug in!
- All of your shades will already be pre-programmed with the to their default up-and-down limits, and the channel. However, many customers will want to review the instruction to edit their settings as needed.
What remote options and apps will integrate with this motor?
Gadget and app lovers rejoice! The decision to install motorized blinds or shades in your home is a gateway to a wide variety of other gadgets. In order to get the most out of your motorized shades and to control them remotely, you will need to consider purchasing our Smart Hub. Getting started is simple by downloading the iPhone or Android app, and begin to follow the setup wizard. Create rooms, set timers & scenes for optimum comfort and allow your Smart Hub to take control. Take your motorized window treatment experience to the next level by integrating them into 3rd party home automation systems, including Control4, Creston, & Savant. The integration supports isolated shade control and features a two-way communication system offering real time shade position and battery level status.
Can I control different products on the same remote control?
Absolutely! Any motorized product can be operated by any remote within the same motor brand.
What is the wireless range of the Alva System?
Your remotes have a range of approximately 50 feet. Nice, egh!
Now that you know a bit more about the benefits you can expect to see when you install motorized window shades in your home, it’s time to begin thinking about budget. Whether you want to motorize all of the window coverings in your home, or just certain rooms, and where this project falls in your home remodel or renovation budget. With so many benefits on the horizon, you’ll soon love your home even more!