Upgrading your Nursery with Roman Shades: 2 Must Have Features
If that nesting instinct has started to kick-in, it may be a good time to start creating the ultimate haven for your newborn. Whether you want to bring your little one home to a whimsical parade of Disney characters, a minimalist abode or a purely elegant retreat, you cannot forget that window treatments are going to be an absolute must. Fortunately for you, the Alva team has done all of the hard work for you and outlined the 2 Must-Have Features for your Nursery Roman Shades, and a few bonus tips to get you started.
Nursery Roman Shade Feature #1: Blackout Lining
The first thing to think about when setting up your nursery for optimal sleep is lighting. Light and dark play a huge role in sleep for infants (and adults!), and having the right window coverings in the baby’s room can be the difference between a few hours of sleep and a few minutes. Light coming into a room tells babies it's time to wake up, and darkness helps their brain know it's time for sleep.
A Cascade Roman Shade with a blackout lining is often the perfect choice for most design styles and taste. It's classic construction adds softness to windows, while the blackout lining sewn to the fabric darkens the room significantly. Sewn-in bars on the backside create smooth, crisp folds that align into a slim stack, when fully raised.
However, one window treatment with blackout lining likely will not create absolute darkness in the nursery, as light does tend to find its way through the sides of your Roman Shades. To eliminate these gaps and create a completely dark room in the middle of the day, you can always layer your window treatments. Drapes and shades are a common execution. We also see the layering of Roman Shades and Solar Shades as very complementary and practical solution, when drapery is not part of your consideration.
Nursery Roman Shade Feature #2: Safety
The second top-of-mind consideration when choosing window treatments for a nursery is cord safety.
Window treatment cords can be a strangulation hazard, so we always recommend choosing a safer option than typical lift cords when possible. Often, this means choosing a cordless or motorized lift, or a product made without cords like curtains.
If these are not an option, please note that all of our products that utilize a cord or beaded-chain do come with a child-safety device. Here are three additional safety points to consider:
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture, and toys away from windows and cords, preferably to another wall
- Ensure pull cords are permanently anchored to the wall using our Child-Safety devices.
- Lock pull cords into position whenever Roman Shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a window sill.
Make the Most of Alva's Motorized Roman Shade Options
Roman shades are one of the easiest window treatments to operate. There are many different motorized options available today. Some models allow you to raise and lower the shade manually, while others automatically raise and lower the shade based on the time of day.
By choosing Alva’s motorized roman blinds you’ll make life easy for yourself and the new addition to your family. Especially if you have multiple window treatments, it can be a time-consuming task to open and close the roman shades. Motorized roman shades adds convenience to your busy family life by automating the balance of natural and artificial light in the nursery. Schedule your motorized roman shades to open and close on the schedule that’s best for your child’s sleep schedule.
Choosing Blackout Roman Shades for a Nursery
Not every blackout Roman shade will achieve the same results. A good Roman shade has the following characteristics:
- High-Quality Fabric. This goes without saying, but your fabric is one of the most important aspects of your shade. We love Belgian Linen & Woven Wood materials as they are naturally insulated for optimal comfort throughout the seasons, our Belgian linen is woven from longer, stronger yarns, creating a fabric that’s softer, weightier, and more enduring than any other linen you’ve met.
- Fabric-Wrapped Headrail. Alva Roman Shades are crafted from a traditional method, using fabric-wrapped headrails and structured side returns for a completely finished look. (Important Note: Many options on the market today utilize a simple velcro strip to attach the fabric to the headrail. Be aware of this as you make your product selection.
- Side Hems. Side hems are hand-fused to eliminate stitch lines and pinholes.
- Various Control Options. Like most things in life, different homes need different solutions. By first understanding the depth of your window, will allow you to optimally select the control option that will fit perfectly flush inside your window.
When shopping for Designer Roman Shades, look for ones that meet all four criteria. Shop online for the largest selection of blackouts.
The Cascade Roman Shade or Flat Roman Shade has a storied past, but we’ve designed The Alva Collection to be both modern and timeless, with elevated design detailing and heritage craftsmanship.
Your little one needs to feel comfortable in his or her surroundings. And, you want to ensure that he or she is protected from harmful excess heat and noise that would distract your baby from sleeping peacefully.
By upgrading your nursery with Roman shades, you can ensure that your child's room is a comfortable and peaceful place for them to play and rest. Install Roman shades with a blackout lining and safety features to make the most of your little one's nursery.
Ready to start your project? Learn more about how simple installation is for Alva Roman Shades.
Read more about how to buy custom window treatments online.